Life Lessons I learnt riding my Cycle

  • Tuesday, June 14, 2016
  • By Samir Saxena
  • 0 Comments





 

Those who know me, know my love for the two wheels and the road. In 2010, I bought my first Royal Enfield. Riding ever since. In 2011, I acquired my brothers Royal Enfield. Riding more ever since until life happened in 2013.

From Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat, the mantra became Work, Eat at work, Sleep at work and Repeat. Pretty mundane stuff. Occasional late night rides to eat Maggi at Lonavala and some other rides, it was all home-work-home ride clocking not more than 8kms daily. What a shame, I wondered sometimes to myself!

One day, just to break the monotony, to keep myself moving, to be active and exercise a little I bought a cycle; Btwin Rockrider 320.  A very basic cycle on which I clocked some cumulative 200-300 km. It used to be a lot of effort and very little fun. A little research and soon upgraded to a Scott Metrix 20 a month back in which I have clocked some 1000+ km already and I love it. I have fallen in love with my cycle and cycling. I cycle to work on most days (How I wish Mumbai had better infrastructure to at least park the cycles) and slightly longer weekend rides.

Cycling is not a lot different from a motorcycle. Both touches your soul, instill a certain peace inside and with both you choose to put yourself at risk. Both gives you adrenaline, adventure but if you think deeply cycling gives you something more intense than motorcycling: life lessons. With this post I intend to bring forth 9 life lessons which I have learnt from Cycling so far:

1.       There is no substitute for hard work


Cycling is a lot of effort. Your performance is directly proportional to the hard work you put in. How hard you push, you hard you paddle; it’s all!

2.       When going gets tough, put your head down and work harder


Inclines can get very difficult to cycle. And when it does get difficult, just put your head down, change gears, leave your saddle and paddle harder.

3.       Never lose sight of destination


When your muscles start aching, fatigue kicks in and you feel like quitting, look ahead and see where you have reached and how much have you have travelled already. Often, it's shorter to go forward than to go back. Take a break but don’t just quit.

4.       Before things get smooth, they will become more difficult


A hill is steepest before it takes you downhill. Keep pushing the paddles nevertheless. Things will be better soon

5.       Keep upgrading for better results


Steel Vs Aluminium Vs Carbon Frame, multiple gears vs single gears and a lot more will decide how big the results you will get out of your hard work. Keep pushing yourself and keep upgrading yourself.

6.       People are awesome



When on the road both you and your cycle- 
Some people will smile and wave at you- wave back!
Some people will look at you with puzzled eyes- smile at them
Some in cars and bigger vehicles will overtake you as if they own the road- let them pass
Some will make way for you- acknowledge them
Some will be on cycle and take the same road- wave at them, ride with them

7.       Love and learn to be on your own


You’ll ride in groups, you’ll ride with few people and sometimes you’ll ride alone. Keep riding. It’s all ok!

8.       Be grateful for what you have



You’ll always see people riding better cycles than you, clocking better stats than you. Let it not spoil the fun you are having.

9.       Live and love life



It’s when a BEST bus overtakes you and forces you more to the left of the road, so much so that you break hard, trying all together to not fall, balance the cycle, avoid the pavement and not get hit by the bus, you realize how precious life is. Live it, love it!

I have just started on this journey and I am sure I’ll meet a lot of fabulous people and will learn more. Till then I keep calm and keep riding!

You Might Also Like

0 comments